Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Yarn along

My kids' Christmas presents are moving along. Last week I posted a picture of the start of Alex's sock. This week I am as far as the heel. Maybe it (one sock only!) will be done by next week? There is nothing new on the reading front. I am still enjoying In the Garden of Beasts.

Last week I had to get some help with Brianna's gift. I am making her Ginny's Cardigan, a sweater that I fell in love with when I saw the picture on the front of the magazine it is in. This is the first time that I have made an adult sweater. All of my previous experience has been with baby sweaters.



When I got to the short rows in the bust I was absolutely confused. Fortunately for me, one of the local yarn shops close to me has a wonderful woman who has two-hour spots for help on projects. I took advantage of her knowledge and accomplished the short rows.

I am now working on a sleeve. When I got to the point of working on the sleeve, I thought that there was no way that the sweater was long enough for that. I held it up to my daughter's back this morning, and sure enough, it's up to her armpit.

I have a feeling that my daughter's Christmas gift will be done in time for spring. Which, it is a perfect sweater for springtime.That was all part of the plan. Right?!

Link up at Yarn Along!

3 comments:

Alisa Schenck said...

Adult sweaters just take a lot longer then the baby ones!! yours looks great!!

Kathryn said...

That is just beautiful!

I've only done adult sweaters, usually of my own pattern. I have to admit, baby sweaters are a puzzle to me because they outgrow them so quickly. But then - i'm pretty much about showing it off. I don't do socks either, because who would ever see them? I may be closer, however. PBS' "Knit Daily" had a segment on socks recently that i found fun.

That sweater is going to be stunning when you have it done - her hair isn't so long so the back won't be visible, right?

Kathi said...

Kathryn - The size I'm making for her has at least 7 owls on the back. So, while her hair is quite long, some will still show.